I know that I have not been posting anything for a while, even though there have been many exciting things going on like Dad and Jess' Birth Day. I know what you were probably thinking since my mom has not been posting either: man, they must be really busy, or maybe on vacation. Nope. It is because I have been practicing for a Music Memory Competition. A Music Memory Competition is something that Elementary kids do through grades 3rd-5th. What they do is they listen to ten different classical songs(Bach, Mozart). 3rd and 4th listen to the same songs, but the 5th graders listen to harder songs. We take a first round, and if we get a 90%-100%, we make it to the next round. I made it to the next round, and got a 32/60, enough to make it in the top 5.
Last Saturday I went to the competition as part of the Valley View team. All of the last rounds, or tests, were at the school, but this one was at the Stevens High. When it was the fifth graders turn to take the test,(the third and fourth graders had to take it before us), I was sure I had all of the right answers. Then it was time for the final round of the competition. That is for anyone who's team gets a perfect score through-out the whole team. Neither of the Valley View teams made it in. Then it was the time for awards. I got a medal for getting a perfect score on my test. That is my third medal for getting a perfect score. I will also get a pin for making it in 3rd,4th,and 5th grade. But, they forgot to order the pins and I will be getting it in a few weeks. To bad this is my last year I can go.
'Merica: Four Years Later
11 years ago
2 comments:
Hi John,
I'm not suprised that you won. Your brain is amazing. I still can't believe they ever stuck a football helmet on your head so you could go smash it into something. I don't quite understand your competition though. Did you listen to the music then try to remember what songs they played so you could write it down or did you play the music you could remember?
I have been to two of these competitions with John and still can't believe how amazing these young kids are. They just listen to a short phrase from the song and need to identify the correct title and composer, quickly writing down the information as they hear the music. John studies hard for this competition and seems to really enjoy it. I'm sorry to miss it this year, John, but glad to hear that you qualified for another medal.
Grandma
Post a Comment